[Lustre-discuss] MDS backup and restore fail

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Sat Apr 4 14:30:52 PDT 2009

On Apr 04, 2009  00:32 -0500, dan wrote:
> I was switching MDS servers, all new hardware.  I followed the backup and
> restore procedures in the manual and some tips from the list.  When it was
> all said and done the OSTs mounted up and I could mount a client just fine.
>  It seemed like everything was fine until I realized all the files on the
> system are zero length instead of 100's of GB.  What happened?

It sounds like you did not back up the extended attributes.  IIRC is a
step in the restore process that verifies that the attributes were
restored correctly.

> Background:
>
> I used rsync -aXvv.  It was very very slow over ssh or native rsync so I
> mounted the old MDS partition via NFS on the new server - I think this
> might be the problem.  Do the extended attributes transfer over NFS?

I don't think there is support for this in NFS.

> Some files in /ROOT ended up being 80 MB instead of the normal 512 byte MDT
> files.  The original file system was 794 MB, the new one is 166 GB.
>
> I can create new files that are normal.  Performance is good.

I would NOT continue creating new files until you have successfully
restored all of the attributes.  You can re-copy the xattrs by themselves
by mounting the old MDS with -t ldiskfs and using "getfattr" as documented,
and then "setfattr" on the new MDS.

> I'm currently running e2fsck to build the databases for lfsck.  Will that
> help or hurt this problem?  What's the best way to recover from this?
> Thank you!

This will not help you, and would likely erase all of your data objects
if you run lfsck with that database.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.