[Lustre-discuss] Solid State MDT

Jordan Mendler jmendler at ucla.edu
Thu Apr 9 15:07:28 PDT 2009

Has anyone done any testing of modern SSD drives as an MDT for Lustre 1.6?
Searching through the archives it seems that most of the posts related to
SSD are either incomplete or slightly dated.

Does anyone have any input as to how they would compare to 15k RPM drives
and at what deployment size the metadata performance gain would become
noticeable? We are currently using Lustre as a small scratch space, and
initially deployed our MDT as a 4x7200 RPM SATA RAID10 internal to the MDS.
Metadata slow downs have become apparent during heavy use and/or small file
operations, so we are currently deliberating which upgrade path to take.

As of now, our deployment is pretty small:
4 OSS's each with a 4x1TB RAID10 OST on disks internal to the OSS. Will
increase the number of these as the system grows.
~50 clients that read/write large files that are striped across all OSS's.
Will grow 2-4x in the next several months.
We are currently on GigE, but will be switching to DDR-4x IB very soon.

Thanks,
Jordan