[Lustre-discuss] Solid State MDT

Sarp Oral (oad) oralhs at ornl.gov
Sun Apr 12 07:01:03 PDT 2009

We have played around with that idea in one way or the other for a few times
in the past. It didn¹t seem to be cost effective.

We tried a RamSan device (300, if I am not mistaken) as a MDT, almost two
years ago. We compared the metadata rates of that with the ones we get from
our MDT on a DDN 9500 with write back cache on. DDN (simply a big cache with
a RAID 5 magnetic disk set behind it) turned out to be a more cost effective
solution for our installation and use cases.

We haven¹t evaluated any SSDs as a MDT since then as far as I can remember.

Sarp