[Lustre-discuss] Solid State MDT

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Mon Apr 13 09:55:15 PDT 2009

We've done smoe experiments with software RAID10 on Intel X-25E solid
state disks, focused on getting 4K random iops up very high.

We were at first greatly encouraged by the fact that our current
production MDS's based on a dedicate DDN 8500 multiple tiers of FC disks
with write cache on (older dual socket Nacona node with 8G RAM) topped out
around 700 IOPS read, 150 IOPS write, while an array of 16 X25-E's
(quad socket, quad core opteron with 32G RAM) hit 120K IOPS read, 64K
IOPS write.

Two things curbed our enthusiasm for SSD's in the short term:
1) the fact that a 3ware + 32 15K RPM SAS disks based MDS that gets
approximately 6K IOPS read, 4K IOPS write on the same quad socket opteron
node type was "about twice as fast" when measured with mdtest workloads
as the production DDN 8500 setup above.  If the disk were still the
bottleneck we should have seen around 10X, and in fact the node is a
lot faster too so the speedup may be attributable to that rather than
the backend disk

2) some quick tests of MDS create rates (through lustre now) on the SSD
and DDN hardware where we seemed to get about 2350 creates/sec no matter
what hardware we used, and posts from Oleg on this mailing list indicating
that tests utilizing loopback devices were only getting about 5300
creates/sec:

http://lists.lustre.org/pipermail/lustre-devel/2009-February/002940.html

So we're going with the 3ware setup for newer file systems for now
and keeping the SSD config in our back pocket for further investigation.

Jim