[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8 patched kernel for RHEL5 clients?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Fri Apr 17 15:21:25 PDT 2009

On Apr 17, 2009  06:06 -0700, Adeyemi Adesanya wrote:
> Is there ANY reason for running a patched lustre 1.8 RHEL5 kernel vs.
> an unpatched RHEL5 kernel on a client machine? My impression so far is
> that there is no need (assuming that the unpatched kernel is newer
> than 2.6.???)  Just wanted to confirm that there is no slight
> performance advantage for RHEL5 lustre clients that run a patched
> kernel.

No, there isn't really a "patched" client for RHEL5 - there is only
an unpatched client.  The reason there is a separate kernel is for
servers, which are patched, and we want to allow clients mounts
on these kernels so there is a duplicate set of modules built for
the patched server kernel.  The client code used is identical.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.