[Lustre-discuss] exporting lustre over nfs to osx

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Apr 21 14:12:52 PDT 2009

On Apr 21, 2009  16:56 -0400, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> it seems that everything is working, so long as i'm root.  when i try to do
> operations on the nfs share as a regular user i'm getting i/o errors, both
> cmdline and through the finder.
> i created a directory as root and then chown'd it my user, switched to my
> user in another terminal window and tried to touch a file
>
> this seems to pop up in /var/log/messages on the nfs server
>
> Apr 21 16:54:25 orange kernel: LustreError: 9357:0:(dir.c:384:ll_readdir())
> error reading dir 95641/3917193484 page 0: rc -43
> Apr 21 16:54:25 orange kernel: nfsd: non-standard errno: -43

-43 = Linux errno -EIDRM, which means that the UID/GID on your mac does not
match any known UID/GID on the MDS.  You need to update /etc/hosts and
/etc/group on the MDS to add your user.  There are lots of past postings
about EIDRM if you are interested in the details.

Alternately, in the past I've updated the UID/GID on my Mac, with careful
use of the ldap tool, but I don't recall the details (I found it on a Mac
site via Google).  I created a temporary Admin account, updated the Mac
LDAP for my main user account to reflect the new UID/GID I wanted, then
did "find -uid {olduid} -print0 /my/home/dir | xargs -0 chown {newuid}",
and the same for the GID.

Please update the list on your results, so that it will be in the archive
for future reference.

> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Michael Di Domenico <mdidomenico4 at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
> > yes, using mount from terminal does seem to work just fine without options.
> >  i would have liked to use the finder to mount, but it works so far.  i'll
> > keep testing though
> >
> > On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 4:35 PM, Adeyemi Adesanya <yemi at slac.stanford.edu>wrote:
> >

> >> I would try using 'mount' from the command line because you can try
> >> various options. The '-P' (resvport) option may be required to force the
> >> client to connect using a reserved port number. You will need to run 'mount'
> >> as root in order to use this option.
> >>
> >> check the man pages for mount and mount_nfs on your mac.
> >>
> >> ------
> >> Yemi
> >>

> >> On Apr 21, 2009, at 1:29 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> >>
> >>  I used finder on the mac to mount the filesystem, but i wouldn't

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.