[Lustre-discuss] NFS export problem

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Apr 22 11:00:42 PDT 2009

On Apr 22, 2009  11:05 +0200, Ralf Utermann wrote:
> on a Debian etch system, I have NFS-mounted a Lustre
> filesystem. The mount was possible without error.

Note that you can also get Debian packages for Lustre...

> when I want to access this NFS-mounted Lustre filesystem, I see the
> following error message on the NFS client system:
>
> # ls -l /alcc/alf1/
> total 0
> ?--------- ? ? ? ?                ? /alcc/alf1/admin
> # ls -ld /alcc/alf1/admin
> ls: /alcc/alf1/admin: Input/output error
>
> each time I access the NFS mounted Lustre system, I see
> a syslog entry on the client like:
>
> kernel: nfs_stat_to_errno: bad nfs status return value: 45

Do you mean "43" instead of "45"?  Please see thread this week about
OS/X client + NFS export on this same list.

> All systems have nss  access to the same user database, although
> the example above does not even need this (no root squash on
> Lustre and NFS).

If you are sure the numeric userid is the same on the NFS client and
the MDS then it may be a different issue.  Please run "id" on the
client to list the userid, and "/usr/sbin/l_getgroups -d {uid}" on
the MDS to verify that the UID can be resolved properly.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.