[Lustre-discuss] autofs parser tantrum

Michael Sternberg sternberg at anl.gov
Fri Apr 24 08:42:02 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm struggling with the autofs(5) parser (on RHEL-5.2), which does not
understand the lustre mount spec.  This is not a lustre problem, but I
wonder if someone has used automount successfully to mount a lustre
file system.

My /etc/auto.master is:

   /-      /etc/auto.direct

and the direct map is (/etc/auto.direct):

  /sandbox       -fstype=lustre  mds01 at tcp:mds02 at tcp:/sandbox

Upon a mount request I get the following in the autofs log, showing
how the parser mangles the mount spec:

   lookup_mount: lookup(file): looking up /sandbox
   lookup_mount: lookup(file): /sandbox -> -rw mds01 at tcp:mds02 at tcp:/
sandbox
   parse_mount: parse(sun): expanded entry: -rw  mds01 at tcp:mds02 at tcp//
sandbox
                                                                  ^^^^^^

If I leave out the failover server, the parser complains of "invalid
location":

   lookup_mount: lookup(file): looking up /sandbox
   lookup_mount: lookup(file): /sandbox -> -fstype=lustre
mds01 at tcp:/sandbox
   parse_mount: parse(sun): expanded entry: -fstype=lustre
mds01 at tcp:/sandbox
   parse_mount: parse(sun): gathered options: fstype=lustre
   parse(sun): invalid location mds01 at tcp:/sandbox

What's a workable way to automount lustre, or is this misguided?

The reason I want to use automount is that the client is the
management node of an HPC cluster.  It needs the mount only
occasionally, such as for creating home directories and debugging.
Since the node is critical for the cluster (there's actually two, in
high-availability), I'd like to shield it (them) from any lustre
recovery outages.

Regards, Michael