[Lustre-discuss] failure rates

Fri Apr 24 09:59:36 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:48 -0700, John White wrote:

> 	I wonder if anyone has any failure metrics on their specific
> installations.  We're quite new to the lustre space and wanted to get
> a feel for what we might be in for downtime-wise.  In particular, does
> anyone have numbers for the mean time between failure and mean time to
> repair?

I think this is a very subjective question.  To a great deal it's going
to depend on how much you spend on your infrastructure.  If you buy
cheap(ly built) hardware, it will most likely fail more often than
better built hardware.

Additionally, given Lustre's HA abilities, uptime is something you can
throw money at (or not).  If you have a high amount of redundancy in
your architecture, including failover pairs and so on, then downtime is
reduced as your redundant hardware kicks in to provide uptime where it
would have not been had you not spent on and built that redundant
architecture.

There are probably lots of places where the same kind of arguments can
be made, making the question all that more subjective.

b.