[Lustre-discuss] failure rates

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Fri Apr 24 10:11:30 PDT 2009

On Apr 24, 2009, at 9:59 AM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-04-24 at 09:48 -0700, John White wrote:
>>
>> 	I wonder if anyone has any failure metrics on their specific
>> installations.  We're quite new to the lustre space and wanted to get
>> a feel for what we might be in for downtime-wise.  In particular,
>> does
>> anyone have numbers for the mean time between failure and mean time
>> repair?
>
> I think this is a very subjective question.  To a great deal it's
> going
> to depend on how much you spend on your infrastructure.  If you buy
> cheap(ly built) hardware, it will most likely fail more often than
> better built hardware.

Oh, naturally.  I suppose I was short on details.  The question is
more geared at the software side of things.  Of course you can build
in hardware redundancy on the back-end, set up failover on the server-
end, etc.  Beyond those, I'm curious how often software unavoidably
"flips-out" under lustre and how long these commonly take to recover
from.  Say the lock manager tweaks, etc.

I know this is a rather difficult metric to quantify, especially after
experiences with.. other.. parallel filesystems.  Perhaps people have
numbers for their specific configuration?