[Lustre-discuss] Which partition to choose for mkfs.lustre

Mon Apr 27 05:34:01 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-25 at 16:44 +0530, Gnanasekar Loganathan wrote:
> Hi Brain,

Hi,

> [root at SF_02 ~]# rpm -qa | grep e2fs
> e2fsprogs-1.35-12.17.el4
> e2fsprogs-devel-1.35-12.17.el4
> e2fsprogs-1.40.11.sun1-0redhat
> e2fsprogs-1.35-12.17.el4

Why do you have 3 e2fsprogs packages installed?  How did you manage to
do that?  If you used "rpm -i" rpm should have complained that you
already had e2fsprogs installed and if you used "rpm -U" it should have
installed e2fsprogs-1.40.11.sun1-0redhat and removed
e2fsprogs-1.35-12.17.el4.

>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/sda1   *        2550        5000    19687657+  83  Linux
> /dev/sda2            5001        5383     3076447+  82  Linux swap
>

> I have only a 2 partitions on my system.

Yes.  /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2

> If i run the command
>

> 'mkfs.lustre --mdt --mgs --fsname=large-fs /dev/sda'
>

> the system will crash/corrupt.

Of course it will.  You are overwriting /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda2 (which
are your system and swap devices) doing this.  If you intend this
machine to be an MDS, you need to format some other
(than /dev/sda, /dev/sda1 or /dev/sda2) device.  I think perhaps you are
not quite understanding the architecture of Lustre.  I think a review of
the manual and probably the wiki will help you understand what the
components of a Lustre system are and how to install them.

b.