[Lustre-discuss] Moving away from bugzilla

Jason Rappleye jason.rappleye at nasa.gov
Thu Aug 6 13:53:36 PDT 2009

On Aug 5, 2009, at 2:53 PM, Christopher J. Morrone wrote:

> Mag Gam wrote:
>> Are there any plans to move away from Bugzilla for issue tracking? I
>> have been lurking around https://*bugzilla.lustre.org for several
>> months now and I still find it very hard to use, do others have the
>> same feeling? or is there a setting or a preferred filter to see all
>> the new bugs in 1.8 series?
>
> I just want to voice for my support for Bugzilla.  I think it has been
> really great to use.  Here are LLNL, we have probably opened
> hundreds of
> Lustre "issues" (bugs, trackers, future-improvement requests, etc.),
> and bugzilla has been a pleasure to use.

I'll second that. While we don't submit bugs ourselves (we receive
Lustre support through a third party), we do use it in other ways, and
it's been a fantastic resource.

Whenever I'm researching a Lustre problem, the very first thing I do
is search bugzilla - *not* Google! Plugging in the output from an LBUG
into a Bugzilla search turns up a relevant bug more often than not.

Additionally, some information on what other sites are doing -
especially large sites such as LLNL and ORNL, and tools that they use,
can be found by digging around in Bugzilla. See, for example, bz
20165, submitted by Jim Garlick @ LLNL, which has scripts for
integrating heartbeat support into Lustre. While we're not using the
failover bits, I did pull out ldev from Jim's patch, which is a
fantastic tool that I wish I had taken the time to write myself months
ago (thanks, Jim!)

However, Bugzilla's usefulness as a support tool for the Lustre
community is somewhat hindered by the fact that some customers request
that their support tickets be made private. They certainly have the
right to do that, and I'm not knocking Sun or those customers for
doing so. However, the data contained in those tickets can be rather
useful to the community and it would be helpful to have as many
tickets as possible be publicly-accessible.

It's very frustrating to run a Bugzilla search, find a matching bug,
only to be presented with a "not authorized" message when clicking on
the bug's link. This happened when searching for bugs related to the
corruption introduced into Lustre 1.6.7. I believe we were the second
site to report the corruption. The bug from the first site was marked
private, which was a bit frustrating when we were trying to analyze
the problem before requesting support, especially on a weekend when
support isn't always available.

Sun has assured us that they are working on technical and procedural
improvements to ensure that public versions of private bugs containing
relevant technical data are made available to everyone. Until that
happens, I'm putting out a call to those of you who do submit private
bugs to either make them public in the first place, or strip out any
private information before submitting them to Sun. If there's
proprietary customer data contained in the bug you submit, that's one
thing. But if you're embarrassed about pilot error, well, I'll be the
first to admit that I've committed some myself!

Thanks,