[Lustre-discuss] Large scale delete results in lag on clients

Oleg Drokin Oleg.Drokin at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 10 20:11:04 PDT 2009

Hello!

On Aug 10, 2009, at 11:03 PM, Jim McCusker wrote:

> On Monday, August 10, 2009, Oleg Drokin <Oleg.Drokin at sun.com> wrote:
>> What lustre version is it now?
>>
>> We used to have uncontrolled unlinking where OSTs might get swamped
>> with
>> unlink requests.
>> Now we limit to 8 unlinks to OST at any one time. This slows down the
>> deletion process, but at least there are no following aftershocks.
>> (bug 13843, included into 1.6.5 release
> We're at 1.6.4.x. Is it too late to upgrade?

Well, it's never too late to upgrade ;)
After you upgrade two things will happen:
1. all big delete jobs might start to take more time.
2. The object unlinking that you now have will stop (as soon as you
kill the
client where you did the unlink) and on next MDS reconnection to OST
the orphan destroy process will kill the objects.
(so if you want to just kill the slowness you need to kill client
where you did removal,
but you will have space leakage until next MDS restart).

Bye,
     Oleg