[Lustre-discuss] Large scale delete results in lag on clients

Arden Wiebe albert682 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 12 00:36:43 PDT 2009

Jim:

Mag just started a good thread about a live back up.  Depending on your budget if the spare boxes are available and enough disks just make another Lustre filesystem and copy the existing data over with smb.  Here is a screenshot of my commodity hardware rig-up of a 5.4 TB raid10 Lustre Filesystem that uses 28 1TB hard drives that could easily be built for under $10000.00 if you shopped a little more conservatively or had existing hardware you could utilize in the build out.  http://www.ioio.ca/Lustre-tcp-bonding/images.html and http://www.ioio.ca/Lustre-tcp-bonding/Lustre-notes/images.html

Being that I used raid10 for the underlying redundancy my available storage space was reduced substantially.  I'm sure you could squeeze 15TB out of close to that number of disks if you used the right raid level.  Here is the hardware recipe I used at http://oil-gas.ca/phpsysinfo if it helps you to contemplate the upgrade route or the backup then upgrade route.  Otherwise if you knew someone with a spare 15TB of storage and bandwith you could quickly or not so quickly upload your data and then download again - again just ideas but the thought of doing a 15TB end to end data transfer using Lustre is interesting.

Arden