[Lustre-discuss] "processing error" in log file?

Wolfgang Stief wolfgang.stief at best.de
Thu Aug 13 06:43:05 PDT 2009

Hi there!

In the messages file on my object storage servers, I find many
"processing errors". They all are -16, -19 or -30. They all seem to
come from ldlm_lib.c:1826:target_send_reply_msg which seems to be the
only place in the source code, where the string "processing error" is
located.

I didn't find any document so far, where those error numbers are
explained. I did also some grep through the source code. Since I'm no
programmer at all, I'm not familiar in browsing through source code
efficiently :-)

Background: I have 3 file systems with 2 OST each, distributed among 3
OSDs. RHEL 5.3, Lustre 1.8.1 installed from RPMs. The OSTs are in a HA
configuration w/ Linux HA cluster (version 2) and there are some
troubles with some OSTs in case of failover (OST won't start). Most (if
not all) of these processing errors are caused while switching an OST
resource. I'd like to find out, what's going wrong here.

Any help/hints appreciated.
wolfgang