[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8.1 distribution missing kernel source?

Richard Smith Richard.Smith at Sun.COM
Mon Aug 17 00:31:13 PDT 2009

Brian J. Murrell wrote:

> Because you didn't find a kernel-source, I am guessing you are using the
> RHEL5 packages. RH doesn't package a kernel-source package, only Suse
> does. RH requires that you get the source from the src.rpm. There's
> tonnes of info on the web on how to build a kernel from source for RHEL.
> Google will find it pretty quickly.

Yes, I was using RHEL5 x86_64 packages. FWIW I did go and compile the
kernel after installing the src.rpm, via rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.spec.
This appeared to apply a lot of patches, but didn't create any rpms
with lustre in their name, so presumably there's an extra step required
somewhere along the way.

I stopped pursuing this when I realised for the purposes of compiling
drivers, what I really needed was to install
kernel-lustre-devel-2.6.18-128.1.14.el5_lustre.1.8.1.x86_64.rpm

I also had to resolve a header file conflict to get myri10ge driver to
build, for which I hacked its check_headers.sh script to inspect
include/linux/inet_lro.h and set MYRI10GE_HAVE_WSUM appropriately.

    ,-_|\   Richard Smith Staff Engineer PAE
   /     \  Sun Microsystems                   Phone : +61 3 9869 6200
richard.smith at Sun.COM                         Direct : +61 3 9869 6224
   \_,-._/  476 St Kilda Road                    Fax : +61 3 9869 6290
        v   Melbourne Vic 3004 Australia