[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8.1 distribution missing kernel source?

Mon Aug 17 06:44:57 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 17:31 +1000, Richard Smith wrote:

> Yes, I was using RHEL5 x86_64 packages. FWIW I did go and compile the
> kernel after installing the src.rpm, via rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.spec.

Yes, IIRC that is one of the possible paths that RH describe.  If you
just wanted patched source which you could then further patch/tweak
before you executed the build, you could just use rpmbuild -bp, which I
believe is one of the RH recommended paths.

> This appeared to apply a lot of patches, but didn't create any rpms
> with lustre in their name, so presumably there's an extra step required
> somewhere along the way.

Nope.  rpmbuild -bb should have built the lustre kernel RPMs.  What did
get created?

> I stopped pursuing this when I realised for the purposes of compiling
> drivers, what I really needed was to install
> kernel-lustre-devel-2.6.18-128.1.14.el5_lustre.1.8.1.x86_64.rpm

Indeed.  Compiling drivers is exactly what the kernel-*devel packages
are for.

b.