[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8.1 distribution missing kernel source?

Mon Aug 17 11:25:31 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 12:18 -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> > Yes, IIRC that is one of the possible paths that RH describe.  If you
> > just wanted patched source which you could then further patch/tweak
> > before you executed the build, you could just use rpmbuild -bp, which I
> > believe is one of the RH recommended paths.
>
> This will build the kernel RPMs.

rpmbuild -bb will build RPMs.  rpmbuild -bp will just "%prep" the
package.  IOW, it stops after %prep and before %build.

> > > This appeared to apply a lot of patches, but didn't create any rpms
> > > with lustre in their name, so presumably there's an extra step required
> > > somewhere along the way.
> >
> > Nope.  rpmbuild -bb should have built the lustre kernel RPMs.  What did
> > get created?
>
> I would be surprised if building the kernel also built the Lustre RPMs
> (which is what I think is the issue here).

Right.  rpmbuild -bb on the kernel src.rpm will not build the Lustre
RPMs, but he said he found no RPMs at all with lustre in the name, which
is why I was interested in seeing what he did get.  We don't remove the
"-lustre" from the kernel packages until an upcoming (1.8.2 probably)
release and the 1.8.1 kernel src.rpm should have built kernel-lustre-*
RPMs.

> To rebuild the Lustre RPMs
> for the new kernel you need to rpmbuild -bp the lustre-{version}.src.rpm.
                                          ^^^
-bb.  -bp only does %prep.

b.