[Lustre-discuss] Lustre 1.8.1 distribution missing kernel source?

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Mon Aug 17 11:18:36 PDT 2009

On Aug 17, 2009  09:44 -0400, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-17 at 17:31 +1000, Richard Smith wrote:
> > Yes, I was using RHEL5 x86_64 packages. FWIW I did go and compile the
> > kernel after installing the src.rpm, via rpmbuild -bb kernel-2.6.spec.
>
> Yes, IIRC that is one of the possible paths that RH describe.  If you
> just wanted patched source which you could then further patch/tweak
> before you executed the build, you could just use rpmbuild -bp, which I
> believe is one of the RH recommended paths.

This will build the kernel RPMs.

> > This appeared to apply a lot of patches, but didn't create any rpms
> > with lustre in their name, so presumably there's an extra step required
> > somewhere along the way.
>
> Nope.  rpmbuild -bb should have built the lustre kernel RPMs.  What did
> get created?

I would be surprised if building the kernel also built the Lustre RPMs
(which is what I think is the issue here).  To rebuild the Lustre RPMs
for the new kernel you need to rpmbuild -bp the lustre-{version}.src.rpm.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.