[Lustre-discuss] Bad read performance

Alvaro Aguilera s2506578 at inf.tu-dresden.de
Thu Aug 20 14:52:13 PDT 2009

Hello,

as a project for college I'm doing a behavioral comparison between Lustre
and CXFS when dealing with simple strided files using POSIX semantics. On
one of the tests, each participating process reads 16 chunks of data with a
size of 32MB each, from a common, strided file using the following code:

int myfile = open("thefile", O_RDONLY);

MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD); // the barriers are only to help measuring time

off_t distance = (numtasks-1)*p.buffersize;
off_t offset = rank*p.buffersize;

int j;
lseek(myfile, offset, SEEK_SET);
for (j = 0; j < p.buffercount; j++) {
       read(myfile, buffers[j], p.buffersize); // buffers are aligned to the
page size
       lseek(myfile, distance, SEEK_CUR);
}

MPI_Barrier(MPI_COMM_WORLD);

close(myfile);

I'm facing the following problem: when this code is run in parallel the read
operations on certain processes start to need more and more time to
complete. I attached a graphical trace of this, when using only 2 processes.

As you see, the read operations on process 0 stay more or less constant,
taking about 0.12 seconds to complete, while on process 1 they increase up
to 39 seconds!

If I run the program with only one process, then the time stays at ~0.12
seconds per read operation. The problem doesn't appear if the O_DIRECT flag
is used.

Can somebody explain to me why is this happening? Since I'm very new to
Lustre, I may be making some silly mistakes, so be nice to me ;)

I'm using Lustre SLES 10 Patchlevel 1, Kernel
2.6.16.54-0.2.5_lustre.1.6.5.1.

Thanks!

Alvaro Aguilera.