[Lustre-discuss] high IOPS

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Dec 2 14:41:16 PST 2009

On 2009-12-02, at 12:15, Craig Tierney wrote:
> Andreas Dilger wrote:
>> On 2009-12-02, at 09:20, Francois Chassaing wrote:
>>> I have a big fundamental question :
>>> if the load that I'll put on the FS is more IOPS-intensive than
>>> throughput-intensive (because I'll access lots of medium-sized files
>>> ~5 MB from a small number of clients), should I better go Lustre or
>>> PVFS2 ?
>>
>> I don't think PVFS2 is necessarily better at IOPS than Lustre.  This
>> is mostly dependent upon the storage configuration.
>>
>>> Also, if the main load is IOPS, shouldn't I oversize MDS/MDT in
>>> terms of CPU/RAM and storage perf (ie. : max of 15K SAS RAID10
>>> spindles possible) ?
>>
>> The Lustre MDS/MDT is used only at file lookup/open/close, but is not
>> involved during actual IO operations.  Still, this means in your case
>> that the MDS is getting 2 RPCs (open + close, which can be done
>> asynchronously in memory) for every 5 OST RPCs (5MB read/write, which
>> happen synchronously), so the MDS will definitely need to scale but
>> not necessarily at 2/5 of the total OST size.
>>
>> Typical numbers for a high-end MDT node (16-core, 64GB of RAM, DDR
>> IB)
>> is about 8-10k creates/sec, up to 20k lookups/sec from many clients.
>>
>> Depending on the number of files you are planning to have in the
>> filesystem, I would suggest SSDs for the MDT filesystem, especially
>> if
>> you have a large working set and are doing read-mostly access.
>
> Has anyone reported results of an SSD based MDT?

We have done internal testing, and the performance for many workloads
is somewhat faster, but not a TON faster.  This is because Lustre is
already doing async IO on the MDS, unlike NFS, so decent streaming IO
performance and lots of RAM meet many of the create/lookup performance
targets.

If you have a huge filesystem that is doing a lot of random lookup,
create, and unlink operations (i.e. the working set is larger than the
MDS RAM, about 4kB per file for random operations, 16M files on a 64GB
MDS) then the high IOPS rate of SSDs will definitely make a huge
difference (i.e. keeping 20k lookups/sec on DDR instead of falling to
mdt_disks * 100).

Since that isn't a common workload for our customers, we haven't done
a lot of testing in that area, but it is definitely something I'm
curious about.