[Lustre-discuss] Another server question.

Charles Taylor taylor at hpc.ufl.edu
Wed Feb 4 07:52:35 PST 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Robert Minvielle wrote:

> I still can not seem to get this OST to come online. The clients
> are still exhibiting the same behaviour as before. Is there any
> way to get the OST to go into active by force? I ran a ext3 check
> on it using the SUN modded e2fsprogs and it returns
>
> e2fsck 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
> datafs-OST0001: recovering journal
> datafs-OST0001: clean, 472/25608192 files, 1862944/102410358 blocks
>
> Yet, I still get:
>
> cd /proc/fs/lustre; find . -name "*recov*" -exec cat {} \;
> status: INACTIVE
>
> On the MGS, it seems to show as active...
>
> [root at l1storage1 ~]# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lov/datafs-mdtlov/target_obd
> 0: datafs-OST0000_UUID ACTIVE
> 1: datafs-OST0001_UUID ACTIVE
> 4: datafs-OST0004_UUID ACTIVE
> 5: datafs-OST0005_UUID ACTIVE
> 6: datafs-OST0006_UUID ACTIVE

We've seen OSTs come up as INACTIVE before.   We are not sure why it
happens.    Sometimes it will transition into RECOVERY if you remount
it (umount, mount).   Sometimes you may find that the OST is mounted
read-only and you can force it back to read-write with mount (as in
mount -o rw,remount <device>).     Sometimes, if you wait, it will
transition to ACTIVE on its own (perhaps passing through RECOVERY
first, I don't know).     We've intentionally and unintentionally
experienced all three.

I think Brian and/or Andreas have already mentioned the remount route.

Don't worry though.   Lustre really does work.   This sounds like
normal tooth cutting.   You'll be ok.  :)

Charlie Taylor
UF HPC Center