[Lustre-discuss] Another server question.

Wed Feb 4 08:00:48 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 09:39 -0600, Robert Minvielle wrote:
> I still can not seem to get this OST to come online. The clients
> are still exhibiting the same behaviour as before. Is there any
> way to get the OST to go into active by force? I ran a ext3 check
> on it using the SUN modded e2fsprogs and it returns
>
> e2fsck 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
> datafs-OST0001: recovering journal
> datafs-OST0001: clean, 472/25608192 files, 1862944/102410358 blocks
>
> Yet, I still get:
>
> cd /proc/fs/lustre; find . -name "*recov*" -exec cat {} \;
> status: INACTIVE
>
> On the MGS, it seems to show as active...
>
> [root at l1storage1 ~]# cat /proc/fs/lustre/lov/datafs-mdtlov/target_obd
> 0: datafs-OST0000_UUID ACTIVE
> 1: datafs-OST0001_UUID ACTIVE
> 4: datafs-OST0004_UUID ACTIVE
> 5: datafs-OST0005_UUID ACTIVE
> 6: datafs-OST0006_UUID ACTIVE
>
> I can not seem to how to up the OST in the FAQ/manual, other than
> the 4.2.1 4.2.2 section, which does not seem to work on this OST
> (when I do a  lctl --device <devno> conf_param datafs-OST0001.osc.active=1
> it fails, although no matter what I put in for <devno> it gives me an
> error).
>
> Any help would be much appreciated.

You are trying way too hard.  The process is simply to mount the OST and
wait for recovery to complete.  If that is not working, then that needs
to be debugged.  All of these other things you are attempting are likely
just confusing things more than helping.

So after you mount the OST, you should get a bunch of messages in your
"kernel log".  What are they?

Also, can you explain, exactly, step by step what you are doing to
invoke this failure and recovery.

b.