[Lustre-discuss] query about support of new redhat kernels

Robert Olson olson at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Feb 13 13:41:44 PST 2009

Hello all,

I spent the day tracking down my NFS lockd hangs that I'm seeing on a
RHEL5 server, and finally found them described in this errata from
Sept of 2008:

	http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHSA-2008-0885.html

The fix is in the RHEL5 kernel 2.6.18-92.1.13. I see that the latest
Lustre RPMs are at 2.6.18-92.1.10; I'm curious how often the RHEL5
RPMs are updated to track the kernel bugfixes.

I'm guessing short term I will have to rebuild my RHEL kernel from
sources, or use the patchless kernel. (The machine in question is
currently an NFS server for a bunch of bioinformatics pipeline job
data; we are in the midst of acquiring a Lustre server to host this
data, and in the meantime I have a small test Lustre server cluster
set up which is why I've got the Lustre kernel on it).

thanks for any advice,
--bob