[Lustre-discuss] Compile Versions -- Problem with GCC 4.3

Wed Feb 18 18:58:57 PST 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-18 at 21:33 -0500, Roger Spellman wrote:

> I have a customer who wants me to build a kernel with lustre using GCC
> 4.3.0.  I know that a while ago there were problems using certain
> compilers.  Should I be able to use GCC 4.3?
>
> I'm building the Lustre enabled RHAT kernel
> 2.6.18-92.1.10.el5_lustre.1.6.6 with the GCC 4.3.0, and the kernel is
> crashing.  Any advice?

This is one of those kinds of questions where mileage varies greatly,
but in general I would recommend that you compile a given kernel with
the compiler that comes with the release that includes said kernel.

So, if you are compiling the RHEL5.2 kernel, then use the compiler that
comes with RHEL5.2.  That way you are amongst the "common pool" of
experience and not an outlier.

b.