[Lustre-discuss] root squash nodes

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Thu Feb 19 06:43:44 PST 2009

Hi all,

from some prior mail here I took it that you can have only one client
non-root-squashed.

Now in the manual ,
http://manual.lustre.org/manual/LustreManual16_HTML/LustreSecurity.html#50548870_pgfId-1292749
there is  talk of multiple NIDs to be used here:
"lctl conf_param Lustre-MDT0000.mdt.nosquash_lnets=[1,3]@elan0"

I have a test cluster (running Lustre 1.6.6) where this command, albeit
changed to ethernet addresses, does not work. Result is LNET_NID_ANY, as
described in the manual for incorrect nosquash NID - my NIDs are
formally correct and existing, of course.

Btw, the command does not work in any case in this syntax variant "lctl
conf_param NAME.mdt.nosquash_lnets", but it does with a single IP in the
syntax provided earlier on this list: "lctl set_param
mds.NAME.nosquash_nid". "lctl conf_param" does not work for setting the
UID.GID mapping either.

However, I'm mainly interested in the question of multiple NIDs. Is it
wishful thinking of the manual, is it a matter of the Lustre version, or
am I getting something entirely wrong?

Thanks a lot,
Thomas