[Lustre-discuss] proc/sys/lnet files

Mon Feb 23 09:21:42 PST 2009

On Mon, 2009-02-23 at 14:30 +0530, Ravi Kumar Madhuranthakam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to log all lustre events by syslog daemon to /var/log/messages

Are you sure this is not being done already?  Most Linux systems are
pre-configured to log the kernel messages to /var/log/messages.

> In lustre manual It saysDebug can be  controlled by masks
> in /proc/sys/lnet/subsystem_debug and /proc/sys/lnet/debug.

That controls what level of Lustre debugging is kept in the internal log
buffer.  Neither of those procfiles will alter the level of debugging
that goes to syslog.

Additionally, the amount of debugging that can be generated by setting
those masks to high values can very easily outpace the disk that is
likely the target of a syslog daemon.

Can I ask you what your end goal is?  Maybe there is a better way to
achieve it.

> But I didn’t any of these files.  What can be the issue?

I'm afraid there was a too important (to the meaning of the question)
word missing in that question to be sure of what you are asking.  If I
guess the word was "find" then you will not find the files
in /proc/sys/lnet until the lnet module(s) are loaded.

b.