[Lustre-discuss] [SPAM] Lustre integration with SAM-FS

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Jan 29 16:55:22 PST 2009

On Jan 28, 2009  14:21 +0100, Michael Ruepp wrote:
> at this point we are using Quantum Storenext as our production
> filesystem because of its multiplatform capabilities (Windows/Mac).
> We already own SAM-FS/QFS but I consider implementing Lustre as second
> tier to swap temporarily production data from our fast/small CVFS to big
> and cheap Lustre (as well as bringing in raw media data for preselection
> and to keep it there for security purpose during postproduction phase).
> After that we want to tape it to our Storagetek Tape Library with SAM-
> FS/QFS
> But I want to keep things simple and thus my question:
> Is it possible to use Lustre as substitution for QFS, so could I stay
> with 3 tiers or do I have to implement QFS as third, Tape Library as
> fourth?

Lustre currently doesn't support HSM functionality, but this is a project
we are working on with CEA.  CEA is developing the main HSM infrastructure
and the Lustre->HPSS interface, and it is expected that a Lustre->SAM
interface will be available shortly thereafter.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.