[Lustre-discuss] CVS checkout of 1.8.1 fails

Johann Lombardi johann at sun.com
Wed Jul 1 04:38:50 PDT 2009

On Jul 1, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Ralf Utermann wrote:
> thanks for this info. Our question would be, whether 1.8.1 supports a
> 2.6.27 patched kernel.

There is no patch series (for both kernel & ldiskfs) available for
2.6.27
and we will likely not provide one before we support 2.6.30, since we
need a stable ext4 tree for ldiskfs. ext4 in SLES11 is quite up to
date, that's why we can afford to support servers on this kernel.

> We did tests with patchless clients and were not very happy with the
> performance. And we need it for the serverside anyway.

What kernel did you use to compare the performance?
FYI, we removed the intent patches (used on the client side)
for kernels >= 2.6.16. Basically, this means that patchless
client is the default now, even if you use the patched kernel.

Johann