[Lustre-discuss] CVS checkout of 1.8.1 fails

Ralf Utermann ralf.utermann at physik.uni-augsburg.de
Thu Jul 2 06:02:37 PDT 2009

Johann Lombardi wrote:
[...]
>> We did tests with patchless clients and were not very happy with the
>> performance. And we need it for the serverside anyway.
>
> What kernel did you use to compare the performance?
> FYI, we removed the intent patches (used on the client side)
> for kernels >= 2.6.16. Basically, this means that patchless
> client is the default now, even if you use the patched kernel.

We run a Debian Lenny environment and the kernel on Lustre
servers and clients is a vanilla 2.6.22.19 + the patches from
Debians lustre-source (1.6.7-2) [the package from sid or testing
backported to lenny].
I pulled out some test data from our internal wiki to
http://www.physik.uni-augsburg.de/~ralfu/LustreTest/
where the data for unpatched and patched kernel are
compared. Storage backend are two Sun 6140 systems, all
OSTs  either 4 or 8 data disks.
As we were happy with the patched kernel results, we just
did not look further into the obvious problems there. We
might have to do this now ...

Regrads, Ralf
--
        Ralf Utermann