[Lustre-discuss] How to remove ghost files when running on an LVM snapshot of the MDT?

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Thu Jul 9 06:44:55 PDT 2009

Dear list,

my MDS is running on an LVM snapshot of the MDT. Some files
have been deleted after the snapshot was taken, so these
appear as 'ghost' files now on the clients and I'm trying
to get rid of them.

 From what I understood, this requires e2fsck and lfsck. So
I ran e2fsck on the MDT and all the OSTs in order to get the
db files for lfsck, however:

-->
[root at mds tmp]# lfsck -v --mdsdb mdt --ostdb ost.sdb ost.sdc ost.sdd
ost.sde /lustre/backup-MDT/dev/mdtgroup/MDT
lfsck 1.40.11.sun1 (17-June-2008)
MDSDB: mdt
OSTDB[0]: ost.sdb
OSTDB[1]: ost.sdc
OSTDB[2]: ost.sdd
OSTDB[3]: ost.sde
MOUNTPOINT: /lustre/backup-MDT/dev/mdtgroup/MDT
error: can't get lov name.: Inappropriate ioctl for device (25)
<--

Anything obvious I am doing wrong here?

Is that the correct approach after all?

TIA,