[Lustre-discuss] How to remove ghost files when running on an LVM snapshot of the MDT?

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Tue Jul 14 02:12:23 PDT 2009

Andreas Dilger wrote:

>> -->
>> [root]# rm fileB
>> rm: cannot lstat `fileB': No such file or directory
>> <--
>
> Try using "unlink fileB".  The GNU "rm" likes to stat every file before
> unlinking it, and the "stat" fails because the OST objects are missing.

Yes, that works, thanks.

> You need to mount the client filesystem on the MDT in this case.

I did that now. When running with -c, lfsck created an empty object for
my fileB.

Is there a way to get rid of the missing files? (Users may prefer that
their files are cleanly gone rather than there are ghost files or empty
objects.)

As far as I understood, there is no way to sync the MDT from the OSTs,
right?

One more thing: from what I see, the clients need to remount Lustre when
the MDT is restored, even if it's the same MDS mounting it. Is that
correct or will the client recover after a while (and I was just to
impatient or did something wrong)?

Thanks,
  Arne