[Lustre-discuss] Vanilla Kernel support in 1.8 series

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Wed Jul 15 08:43:04 PDT 2009

On Jul 15, 2009  09:51 -0400, Craig West wrote:
> I have noticed that there are currently no "supported" vanilla kernels
> listed in the 1.8.1 RC.
>
> Are we going to see a new vanilla kernel supported in Lustre 1.8?
> As someone who doesn't run RHEL or SLES, I found the vanilla kernels useful.

The 1.8.1 release will add support SLES11 (2.6.27-based) so it seems
fairly likely that the patches for this kernel will also work on 2.6.27
vanilla kernels.

We are also working on adding client-side support for 2.6.29/2.6.30
kernels (see bugzilla for patches).  Supporting a new kernel is added
work for us and is not undertaken lightly.  I would also like to
investigating patchless server support, but I'm not sure whether that
is possible yet, though newer kernels make this easier.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.