[Lustre-discuss] Selection of kernel options for the distributed Lustre kernels

Tue Jul 21 05:50:41 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-21 at 10:59 +0200, Arne Wiebalck wrote:
> Hi Brian,

Hi Arne,

> We plan to use iSCSI arrays over TCP/IP as the shared storage for the
> MDT. So for me it would be of course much more convenient to have the
> corresponding support for that in the pre-built rpms as it saves me the
> hassle to re-compile (so much for customer demand ;-).

It is.  As I said in my last e-mail, the iSCSI support is in the
kernel-ib RPM as we build the iSCSI stack from the OFED release.

> Also, as you can turn a disk server into an iSCSI target I would think
> that this will more and more become an option to create relatively cheap
> shared storage for the MDT.

Perhaps.  Perhaps not.  I would think that TCP/IP to the storage adds
latencies.  Latencies would be quite bad for the MDT.

> Any chance that at least the TCP/IP iSCSI initiator stuff is set back to
> the RHEL defaults?

Is the iSCSI stack in the kernel-ib RPM not working for you?  Please
describe if that is the case.

b.