[Lustre-discuss] Selection of kernel options for the distributed Lustre kernels

Arne Wiebalck arne.wiebalck at cern.ch
Tue Jul 21 01:59:43 PDT 2009

Hi Brian,

> In addition to providing an updated I/B stack from OFED we also provide
> the iSCSI stack from OFED as well, as it's generally "newer" than what
> the vendor provides.  In order to do so and minimize confusion with the
> vendor supplied kernel, we disable the vendor's iSCSI (as well as
> infiniband) stacks.
>
> You will find the iSCSI stack in the kernel-ib package we distribute
> with our release.  Let me know if that doesn't pan out.  iSCSI is not
> something we routinely test due to lack of hardware but more
> importantly, simply lack of desire in our customer base.  iSCSI is just
> not a common deployment method within the Lustre customer base.

We plan to use iSCSI arrays over TCP/IP as the shared storage for the
MDT. So for me it would be of course much more convenient to have the
corresponding support for that in the pre-built rpms as it saves me the
hassle to re-compile (so much for customer demand ;-).

Also, as you can turn a disk server into an iSCSI target I would think
that this will more and more become an option to create relatively cheap
shared storage for the MDT.

Any chance that at least the TCP/IP iSCSI initiator stuff is set back to
the RHEL defaults?

-->
CONFIG_SCSI_ISCSI_ATTRS=m
CONFIG_ISCSI_TCP=m