[Lustre-discuss] Lustre with failover configuration

Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi tharindub at millenniumit.com
Tue Jul 28 07:38:42 PDT 2009

hi Atul,

few points ...

1. we have migrated to SuSE11 from Solaris due to various techno/political
reasons.
2. I will keep OSS1/MDS2 & OSS2/MDS1 etc. as you have instructed.

One last thing ...

so,  I can configure lustre in a way that ...
when either node_A or node_B is down (e.g. power failure) , clients can
still access file system without data lost :-)

thankx a lot for quick response ...

__
tharindu

Hi Tharindu,

Some comment inline...

Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi wrote:

> we used sun cluster for shared storage access. we are going to migrate
> to lustre.
>
> we have two nodes connected to single 2540 disk array.

Sun cluster runs on Solaris whereas Lustre is purely Linux. I hope you
know that.

> we are going to keep OSS1/MDS in node A and OSS2/MDS in node B.
>
> Please find attached diagram.

It is generally not a good idea to co-locate OSS and MDS on same node.
It kind of defeats the purpose of using Lustre which separates metadata
from data. You can still use the shown architecture but I will advise
MDS being primary on Node A with Node B acting as failover partner.
Similarly, Node B being primary for OSS with Node A being failover partner.

Also, unlike Sun Cluster, both nodes in Lustre failover pair can not
talk to same storage simultaneously. They work as a active-passive pair
of nodes. Please refer to Lustre manual which explains failover in
detail (manual.lustre.org). Searching Lustre failover in Google shows
some interesting links with detailed examples. See
http://mergingbusinessandit.blogspot.com/2008/12/implementing-lustre-failove
r.html

> how should I configure lustre to support failover/failout. Ideally
> single node failure should be transparent to Lustre client.
>
> could you please provide commands to configure MDS/OSS with failover
> support.

See Lustre manual.

> should I give same volume for both MDS/OSS ?

No. Usually OSS resides on RAID6 volume whereas MDS resides on RAID10
volume. It can be from same storage box, ST2540 in your case. Lustre
benefits from having multiple OSS nodes where IO can be striped across OSTs.

Cheers,
-Atul

***********

> "The information contained in this email including in any attachment
> is confidential and is meant to be read only by the person to whom it
> is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are
> prohibited from printing, forwarding, saving or copying this email. If
> you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the
> sender and delete this e-mail and its attachments from your computer."

Atul Vidwansa
Sun Microsystems Australia Pty Ltd
Web: http://blogs.sun.com/atulvid
Email: Atul.Vidwansa at Sun.COM