[Lustre-discuss] Lustre with failover configuration

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Tue Jul 28 16:39:00 PDT 2009

On Jul 28, 2009  16:08 +0530, Tharindu Rukshan Bamunuarachchi wrote:
> we have two nodes connected to single 2540 disk array.
>
> we are going to keep OSS1/MDS in node A and OSS2/MDS in node B.
>
> Please find attached diagram.

Several notes:
- Lustre does not currently support multiple MDTs in the same filesystem.
- if two servers (e.g. OSS1 + MDT1 are on the same node, then failure of
  that node is considered a "double failure" and cannot be recovered
  without IO errors to the client (though data will not be lost).

You would be better off to have MDS on one node (backup on OSS node)
and 2 OSTs on a single OSS node (backup on MDS node).

Note that Lustre is not really designed as a high availability 2-node
cluster filesystem.  It is more targetted at large-scale storage where
a single server cannot provide sufficient bandwidth/storage to meet
the needs of the clients connected.

> could you please provide commands to configure MDS/OSS with failover
> support.

This is documented in the Lustre manual.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.