[Lustre-discuss] Lustre mount on specific pool path

Andreas Dilger adilger at sun.com
Thu Jul 30 08:46:42 PDT 2009

On Jul 29, 2009  15:07 -0400, Yujun Wu wrote:
> Could somebody give me some info on this? I upgraded Lustre
> to 1.8.0.1 and configured our Lustre with two set of pools
> (prod, dev) and corresponding paths (/lustre/prod, /lustre/dev).
> This is really nice feature for us.

Note that segregating OSTs into pools in this way doesn't really
give you "production" and "development" environments, since you
are still sharing a single MDS.  You would probably be better off
to have two separate filesystems.

> Now we have a question:
> We only want our users to access the storage (OSTs) in our
> prod pool. Is it possible if we only mount /lustre/prod instead
> of the whole /lustre path on our worker nodes? I mean something
> like:
>
> mount -t lustre <mgs_node>@tcp1:/lustre/prod /lustre/prod
>
> Right now, I have to mount the root path:
> mount -t lustre <mgs_node>@tcp1:/lustre /lustre

Currently, pools are only used for object allocation decisions,
and do not have any ability to restrict access.

The feature you are asking about (mounting filesets) is relatively
easy to implement, but nobody has funded or required this functionality,
and nobody has supplied a patch either.

Sr. Staff Engineer, Lustre Group
Sun Microsystems of Canada, Inc.