[Lustre-discuss] Can lustre be a client on CentOS 5.3?

Craig Tierney Craig.Tierney at noaa.gov
Thu Jun 11 09:17:10 PDT 2009

Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-06-10 at 17:13 -0600, Craig Tierney wrote:
>> # ./configure --disable-server --prefix=/opt/lustre/1.8.0.1rc5 \
>>   --with-o2ib=/opt/system/ofed/1.4.1/src/openib \
>>   --with-linux=/usr/src/kernels/linux-2.6.18-128.1.10.el5 --enable-quota
>> # make
>
> make rpms is also a possibility here if you prefer to have RPMs that you
> can install rather than "make install".
>
> Personally, I would never pollute the filesystem of any machine I run,
> much less a production system with a "make install".  I prefer to have
> every file in my filesystems catalogued and managed by the O/S' package
> management system so that amongst other things, they are cleaned up on
> upgrades, package removals, etc.
>
> YMMV though.
>
> b.

You make a good point.  I don't want my filesystem polluted either. That
is why it is installed in /opt.  My theory is that if it doesn't come from
the vendor OS, it doesn't belong in /usr.  That causes confusion and dependency
hell.  This procedure works when you have to support multiple versions of other
tools (MPI, compilers, development tools, etc).

Lustre is a special case.  I never would have multiple versions Lustre
in use to one time, so this could live in an RPM.

Craig

Craig Tierney (craig.tierney at noaa.gov)