[Lustre-discuss] MDT backup procedure

Adam Knight adamk at blinkx.com
Wed Jun 17 16:09:13 PDT 2009

Pertaining to your original email, rather than taking the MDT down to
backup, it is very convenient to use LVM snapshots.  With this
functionality it creates a LV duplicate of the MDT and allows you to
mount that as ldiskfs and backup files from a consistent copy (won't be
changing even if your MDT continues to add/remove data).  Your lustre
filesystem will therefore stay operational during the backup.  If you
time it cleverly, you can snapshot your MDT and OSTs at the same time
and backup from all of them to have a consistent copy of the whole
filesystem as well.