[Lustre-discuss] MDT backup procedure

John White jwhite at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 18 22:58:25 PDT 2009

On Jun 17, 2009, at 4:09 PM, Adam Knight wrote:

> Pertaining to your original email, rather than taking the MDT down to
> backup, it is very convenient to use LVM snapshots.  With this
> functionality it creates a LV duplicate of the MDT and allows you to
> mount that as ldiskfs and backup files from a consistent copy (won't
> be
> changing even if your MDT continues to add/remove data).  Your lustre
> filesystem will therefore stay operational during the backup.  If you
> time it cleverly, you can snapshot your MDT and OSTs at the same time
> and backup from all of them to have a consistent copy of the whole
> filesystem as well.

So following this, has anyone migrated an MDT to new storage with this
sort of procedure?

-create an lvm'd MDT that produces snapshots
-use it for a while in production
-get some snazzy new disk
-shutdown lustre
-take a snapshot of the MDT and shuffle it off to some different
storage media
-create a new LVM with snazzy new disk (specifically of a different
size from the original MDT)
-restore snapshot
-run lfsck for good measure (is this advisable on what could feasibly
be a clean filesystem?)
-bring up lustre

Please keep in mind, I've used LVM but haven't used snapshots, I'm not
familiar with their limitations.  We're looking to create a filesystem
immediately but would like to get some much faster storage for the MDT
later without burning and building a new FS.