[Lustre-discuss] MDT backup procedure

Jerome, Ron Ron.Jerome at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca
Fri Jun 19 06:24:21 PDT 2009

Hi John,

I migrated my MGS/MDT to new hardware just a few weeks ago without much
difficulty.  I did not use an LVM snapshots though, rather the procedure
outlined in the manual (section 15.1.3.1 of the 1.6 manual) using tar
(with the "sparse" option, this is very important!) and getattr.  Mine
is a combination MGS/MDT, so I also needed to tunefs.lustre --writeconf
to get the OST's to update their configuration logs on the new server.
I gave the new server the same IP address as the old one, so there
weren't any issues with changing nids.  It's been running great ever
since.

FYI, it took a few hours to create the tar and extended attribute files
on the old server (~3.4M inodes) and about half that time to restore
them onto the new server (faster disks :)  All in all, about 4 hours of
down time.

Ron Jerome
National Research Council Canada.