[Lustre-discuss] OST redundancy between nodes?

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 10:06:33 PDT 2009

Sorry, but may be I am confused between OSS and OST.

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Brian J. Murrell<Brian.Murrell at sun.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 10:56 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
>>
>> I was wondering what will happen during OST failure
>>  - if client is making some read/write operation
>
> Assuming the OST is configured for failover, the client will retry
> anything that didn't get committed to disk before the OST failure.  It
> will try with all available failover targets for the OST.

Can OST(disk) be configured for failover like an OSS(server node)?

>> - if client requests read/write after OST fails
>
> Same as above.
>
>> When I made OSS unavailable the client waited/got delayed response
>> till OSS connected back.
>
> Right.  That's failover.
>
>> I am not sure about OST failure though. Any
>> clues?
>
> An OST fails if an OSS fails given that an OST is the disk in an OSS
> (which is the node).

I thought an OST(disk) can fail without OSS(server) being failed.
And that's my question, what will happen in such scenario - while
client is in read/write operation and client requesting read/write
after the OST(disk) failure?