[Lustre-discuss] OST redundancy between nodes?

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:15:14 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 12:51 PM, Kevin Van Maren<Kevin.Vanmaren at sun.com> wrote:
> OSS is the server.  It normally provides one or more OSTs.
>
> OST failover is done by configuring multiple OSS nodes to be able to serve
> the same OST.  Only ONE OSS node may provide the OST at a time.

I understand that OST can't be shared by two or more active OSSs at a
time. But we can/should configure OSSs for failover mode. In my
interpretation OST failure was a disk/storage failure. So the failover
you are referring to was an OSS failover in my understanding (i.e.,
switch to another failover OSS node, if particular OSS fails) .

> Failover is accomplished by the clients attempting to connect to each OSS
> node configured to serve the OST, until one of them responds with it active.
>

> An OST can be moved back-and-forth between OSS nodes by umount/mount
> commands (assuming both servers can access the same disk!)
>
> If an OST "fails", meaning that the underlying HW has failed (or the
> connection to the storage has failed -- one reason to use multipath IO),
> then Lustre will return IO errors to the application (although there is an
> RFE to not do that).  Normally what happens is the OSS _node_ fails, and the
> other node mounts the OST (typically done by using Linux-HA/Heartbeat).

Yeah, this is what I am curious abt - OST/disk/storage-device failure.
It might be nice to have something on wiki regarding server and target
as separate entities or same machine. I have gone through the FAQ
entry, but it would be great if we could elaborate it further.