[Lustre-discuss] OST redundancy between nodes?

Fri Jun 26 11:21:49 PDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 13:15 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:

> Yeah, this is what I am curious abt - OST/disk/storage-device failure.

If the media (i.e. physical disk) that is an OST fails, then there is
nothing Lustre can do to recover it.  This is why we strongly suggest
OSTs be some form of RAID.  Lustre absolutely assumes that the storage
is reliable and adds no additional redundancy to/for OSTs or the MDT.

The bottom line -- your data is only as safe as the disks (virtual or
physical) that you give to Lustre.

b.