[Lustre-discuss] OST redundancy between nodes?

Carlos Santana neubyr at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 11:32:02 PDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 1:21 PM, Brian J. Murrell<Brian.Murrell at sun.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-06-26 at 13:15 -0500, Carlos Santana wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, this is what I am curious abt - OST/disk/storage-device failure.
>
> If the media (i.e. physical disk) that is an OST fails, then there is
> nothing Lustre can do to recover it.  This is why we strongly suggest
> OSTs be some form of RAID.  Lustre absolutely assumes that the storage
> is reliable and adds no additional redundancy to/for OSTs or the MDT.

Yeah, this was answered by Kevin in the beginning of this thread. My
question was what will be the message/error given to the client.

Also, I did not understand OSS failure and OST failure terms were used
interchangeably.

The 'failover' term seems appropriate when talking abt servers and not
targets.