[Lustre-discuss] e2scan MDT back-up

Ms. Megan Larko dobsonunit at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:53:14 PST 2009

Hello Daire,

You shared with the List:

>We do backups from a few Lustre filesystems to a large single Lustre
>filesystem using "e2scan" which can quickly scan the MDT for changed
>files and dump out a list which can then be fed into something like
>rsync and rm to synchronise filesystems. The Lustre e2fsprogs RPM includes
>e2scan. I'm more than happy to send our bash script but it is pretty
>hack-tastic!

>Daire

Do you run e2scan on a mounted system?  I have been removing my Lustre
disk from the clients and unmounting the MDT to do a getfattr and then
a tar to back-up the metadata.  (I have started to go to LVM but that
transition is not yet complete.)    Is e2scan run on the LVM like a
snapshot?   Please share more>

Thank you,

megan