[Lustre-discuss] e2scan MDT back-up

Daire Byrne Daire.Byrne at framestore.com
Wed Mar 4 09:03:19 PST 2009

Megan,

----- "Ms. Megan Larko" <dobsonunit at gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you run e2scan on a mounted system?

Yep. Works fine.

> I have been removing my Lustre disk from the clients and unmounting the
> MDT to do a getfattr and then a tar to back-up the metadata.  (I have
> started to go to LVM but that transition is not yet complete.)    Is
> e2scan run on the LVM like a snapshot?   Please share more>

If you are running a getfattr then I suppose you still need to unmount
the MDT and mount it using "ldiskfs". Your approach is more for restoring
a block device (like the MDT) whereas I just want to backup files and don't
care about what OSTs they were on and what their striping patterns were. Do
you backup your OSTs in a similar way or are you just nervous about the MDT
getting wiped/corrupted?

Once you move to LVM then you can snapshot the MDT and mount that without
unmounting the production MDT. You should probably destroy the snapshot
afterwards as it affects performance somewhat.

Regards,

Daire