[Lustre-discuss] e2scan for cleaning scratch space

Jim Garlick garlick at llnl.gov
Wed Mar 4 16:33:28 PST 2009

Hi Brock,

We do this on our scratch file systems as well.  Our policy is to remove
files that have a time of last use of 60 days or older, where time of last
use is defined as the greatest of [acm]time.

E2scan seems like an evil kludge to me, at least if you don't quiesce
your servers first, which is impractical for us to do.  It is especially
painful if you have to correlate data taken seperately from OST and MDT
which I guess you need not do if a) you have a release with trustable MDS
times (not 1.6.6), or b) you plan to stat(2) the MDS-generated list on a
client before purging them.

See bug 16942 which describes an MDS resident "purge thread" that
continually walks the file system implementing the policy.  This is how
we thought purging ought to be optimized and we hope to have this in place
by the time we put 1.8 in production.

Meanwhile, we are walking the file system from a client.  Note that for this

  lfs find --type f --atime +60 --mtime +60 --ctime +60 /mnt/lustre >list

beats

  find /mnt/lustre -type f -atime +60 -mtime +60 -ctime +60 >list

by a wide margin since most of the time it does not have to contact
the OST's, which stat(2) will always do for the foreseeable future
(until size-on-MDS) to get st_size.

Jim