[Lustre-discuss] Aborting recovery

Thomas Roth t.roth at gsi.de
Thu Mar 5 13:19:43 PST 2009

Hi all,

after the problem with our MDS I reported earlier this evening, I did indeed a complete restart of
the server, so afterwards the MDS was in recovery.
There were 386 clients to be recovered. After 100 min, only one of these was left, but obviously it
never came back. So I aborted recovery, and the file system seems to be back and running.

My question: what happens to the one client that was not recovered?

Of course that entails the question what happens during recovery anyhow, but in the first place I'm
interested in the left over client. There can be no real damage to the client or the jobs that were
running on it, all dead anyhow since Lustre was gone for such a long time. But maybe there are
tell-tale signs on the client? According to Andreas and Robert, there is no way to identify the
client from the MDS-side. What are the effects on the client side?
Maybe I have to remount Lustre on that machine?

Regards,
Thomas